These are the standards that must be met
Carefully review the information presented below. When you have completed reading, click "Join" and become a part of CPD.
In order to apply for a position with the Charleston Police Department the applicant must:
- Possess a BA/BS from an accredited University or College
- Possess an Associate’s Degree and at least two years as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer or two years of active military experience
- Possess a High School Diploma with at least four years as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer or four years of active military experience
The Charleston Police Department has also selected to implement a PILOT program, allowing those with a High School Diploma or equivalent, no sworn law enforcement or active military experience, and a steady and positive work performance history the opportunity to apply with the agency. The purpose of the PILOT program is to give individuals who may not have been afforded the same opportunities as some, access to the law enforcement profession.
- Must be 21 years of age at the time of hire
- Must possess a South Carolina Driver’s License
- Must be a US Citizen